For more info...

Visit mlmarshall.com for short-stories, social media updates and more.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Short Tales Explained: Hallow



Last year I wrote a collection of short stories, mostly as a creative exercise and to get more content on my website. One of the stories I wrote, Hallow,  was based on an idea I had over 5 years ago whilst still living in London. I jotted the idea down on a notepad file on my computer and it sat there for a while, gathering digital dust.

The idea was always focused around a trio of friends at a Halloween party. The party has a rather tragic end, but without giving much away, the three friends find themselves in a dilemma once the party is over. A dilemma which will force them to work together in order to find their way out.

I always told myself I’d never write stories with vampires and werewolves in them, and I write about both in this one (also a few witches too). It just had to be done, and werewolves are badass. My only gripe with vampires and werewolves is that they have been portrayed so many times in media, and recently more than ever. It's hard to do anything original with them, but if they're part of a story, then there's not much I can do about it.


Hallow is actually the most likely short story of mine to be expanded upon and made into something longer. I’d like to eventually build upon the characters and the world around them in more detail, and set the trio off on a rather epic journey together. This wouldn't be a Twilight affair, as I don't know how vampires and werewolves can make it through a story without copious amounts of bloodshed. This is a tale with a fair bit of action in it, and isn't written for twelve year old kids.

At the moment Hallow has three parts to it, and all are on the website, but the final, fourth part is currently being written and should be done within a few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment