For more info...

Visit mlmarshall.com for short-stories, social media updates and more.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

My first novel is finshed...kinda

Earlier on today I completed my first novel.

I'm not sure what I expected would happen when I finally typed the last word (I am yet to begin the editing process). The main thing was that I realised the story was finished, there was nothing more to add and it had ended how I had intended it to end.

But there was no fanfare, no fireworks and no party poppers or go-go girls to reward me for my achievement. I simply walked to the shops and bought some milk, ceral and some sweets. But it was a very pleasant walk.
The novel sits at just under 90,000 words, and going by Stephen King's tips in 'On Writing' a second draft should be 10% less than the first (which would bring me to 81,000 approx) an apparently safe number for a first time writer.


Now the fun starts, editing, finding an agent and trying to get this beast published!!

No comments:

Post a Comment